Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Something Exciting to Share.

Now, I'm not boasting or anything as I share this e-mail I received, a few days ago, from Bevan at Cedar Fort. I just want to share it with you. (Well, maybe I feel a little bit proud, but its only natural that one would feel a little proud when someone has reviewed their book with such enthusiasm). Read on:

(Editor's note: It is always a delight when a young person finds delight in reading a book. Sarah is the daughter of Trevor Holyoak, one of our really fine reviewers. Here are her thoughts, basically unedited, on this title from Horizon. I think we need to encourage our young people to read. It gives me hope for the future. Jeffry Needles)

"Prince Etcheon and the secret of the Ancient." Reviewed by Sara Holyoak.

This book is amazing, fabulous, cool, clever. If I had knowledge of all the words that meant I loved it I would use them, except it would probably bore people. I highly recommend this book to any people who love fantasy.The first reason is it has a great plot. The book starts out when prince Etcheon's Granny Fela dies. So he gets a mysterious note that tells him he is the prince of another land and time. He goes to this beautifultimeless valley where there is a pretty lady named Tarainisafari who brings comfort and help, along with some ancient trees and some wise talking animals that each have something to teach Etcheon before he is ready to embark on a quest with a timepiece to rescue his parents, hisl and, and his people from a terrible king and a wizard.

Another reason why you should read this is because it is original. It is not copying any book or movie as far as I know of. It came right out ofthe author's head and I don't think anybody else could think of it. It is exciting and interesting. Another reason is because it is adventurous and entertaining. The first sentence just draws you in. It holds the readers through the whole book.It makes me feel like there needs to be a sequel.

Another reason is, and I feel it is the best, is it is appropriate.There's no swearing or bad stuff. It shows people that Mormons aren't that bad because they don't swear or stuff in their books.

I think the book is great, but I feel like it needs more details of the people and the settings. Like for Granny Fela I imagine a small ladywith gray hair streaked with black in a bun, and a tan wrinkled face with bright kind brown eyes. But I don't know if the author wanted the reader to imagine that. But other than that I am absolutely positive that this is a great novel that anyone would greatly miss out if they didn't read it.

Thank you, Sarah, I don't think reviews get any better than that. When you've touched a young reader, it makes every minute, every re-write, every storm of imagination worth the effort.

2 comments:

Michele Ashman Bell said...

I am dying to read this! It sound magical and mystical and completely entrancing. Congratulations! I am so thrilled for you and hope this book is a huge success.

Jewel's Gems said...

Great review. I'm looking forward to reading it:-)

Blog Archive